BoxOffice Interview with Taylor Lautner


Amy Nicholson has a great interview with Taylor Lautner. To the millions of Team Jacob fans, enjoy!

If the last two books in the series hadn't already been written, what do you think Jacob should do to win over Bella?

I don't think he would have changed anything, and I don't think he should change anything. Jacob and Edward are extremely different guys and it's just whether you want one guy or another. Jacob is himself, and he has a relationship with Bella that Edward doesn't. And Edward has a relationship with Bella that Jacob doesn't. So I wouldn't change a thing.

As an actor, how do you make the audience root for Jacob and get invested in his feelings when the outcome of the love triangle is already known?

Well, you try and take things one step at a time. When I'm filming New Moon, I'm not thinking about Eclipse. When I'm filming Eclipse, I'm not thinking about Breaking Dawn. We just have to focus on the movie that we're doing.

What is it like for your family and friends to see people scream at pictures of you topless?

[Laughs] It's weird. It's embarrassing for me, and I'm sure it's awkward for all of them.
Have you gotten teased about it at family dinners?

Not yet, and I'm hoping that doesn't happen because I'll start blushing.

What do you like about playing Jacob?

I love Jacob and Bella's relationship. It's very different from Edward and Bella's. Jacob and Bella start off as really good friends. They become best friends—they can tell each other anything, they do whatever together, ride motorcycles. I love that. And then their relationship starts growing into more and more, and you wonder if they're going to go past friends. I love being able to do that. And work with an amazing actress, Kristen Stewart, and all of the help around us, our director Chris Weitz, the whole crew. It's a lot of fun.

Not to jump ahead too much, but Jacob's love life takes a turn in the fourth book that I think might be hard to translate to people who haven't read the series. Do you have any thoughts on how to handle his 'imprinting' on Bella's daughter?

I'm sure it would be different. It was definitely a surprise for me when I read the book. But we're just trying to take it one movie at a time, and nothings been confirmed yet on the fourth, so we're just staying focused on Eclipse at the moment.

Do you avoid Googling yourself?

Absolutely. That would not be good if I did that. Definitely try to stay away from that or it could get in your head.

For the rest of the interview go to BoxOffice