Rob's Interview with Criativa Mag- Brazil

Photobucket

CreativeMag-Revistacreativa.Globo via Google translate

Robert is no fool. Wherever you are, the English actor for 24 years invested in the role of romantic hero. It happens with Jacob Jankowski, the protagonist of the film by Francis Lawrence, based on the book by the Canadian Sara Gruen. In this drama, which takes place at a circus in the times of the Great Depression (1929-1939), Robert opposite two actors Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon (as an actor, Johnny & June) and Christoph Waltz (as supporting actor for Bastards Basterds). In this interview, the actor talks about his first love, the hatred that has for photographs and a certain discomfort caused by the hysteria of fans.

How was working with so many wild animals? His conception of the circus moved to Water for Elephants, with regard to the way animals are treated?
I know many circuses have a bad reputation because of this, but none of the animals we work with was the circus animals were all cinema. I know you must be very difficult because of the amount of injuries that the animals suffer. To teach horses tricks that they needed to know, it took months and months. If one got hurt, there was no substitute. Manage a circus is a precarious thing.

Was there a moment when you were scared of animals?
Once, with the zebras. They are impossible to tame. If they are tied, simply pull the rope to drop and if they can not drop, they are kicking. One could come loose and ran toward me. It was part of a scene, and I went out the front. Then everyone thought I was a pussy for leaving the front.

More





Francis Lawrence, the film’s director, said it was difficult to find a man of 23-24 years who were not too young for the role. And he told you it was a man – thoughtful, intelligent, caring, strong and confident. What makes a man a man? 
Do not know. I always think that if you feel comfortable with who you are, then you’re good. I do not know whether anyone ever gets to be a man.


You feel adult?
More or less, no way. It’s weird when people do a movie. It seems that is trapped in bubbles of time. I feel that way, especially with the fame thing. For you to meet new people. Never know anyone. You have the same conversation the whole time, so never develops the same way that most people grow up. You know, you hear the various perspectives that people have about things, but go through the same kind of banal bobajada every time he talks with them.

Type it here … In the end, this ends up affecting your mind. You actually do not know now more like having a conversation with anyone about anything. If the person is not telling you, you’re like, “Huh?” (Laughs).

Where do you go when you want to have a bit of normal life?
When you participate in a film not only as an actor, you force yourself to attend meetings. People are forced to treat you like a true coach, then that’s what I do. If you’re just an actor is very funny because people think they need to hide anything from you, all the time. It’s like, “Oh, he can not be bothered with anything,” and this is bizarre. You’re like a bird. Have security around all the time.

Do you believe in love at first sight 
I believe, completely.

Has this happened to you?
Very … I think with most people I think you’re in love, it happens the first time you see the person. I mean, the first time you see the real person. I think.

As you know you’re in love? What kind of feeling is that to you? Do not know. It is impossible to answer.Really?
I think so … You do not know.

If you had the opportunity, as his character, telling the story of his life would be like 
“I hope to be able to remember a part of it. It’s funny, it’s like being tired all the time. I’m terrified at the prospect of not remember anything of my life. It’s been six months that I’m doing a job and I can not remember a single day of filming.

What would it mean for you to have a beautiful life?
Just doing the things you are proud. The other day I got a dog to create, I’m pretty happy with that. It really is not much needed.

His love life is a big secret. Sometimes it does not feel like going out and show the world?
Will never have anything to show to the world (laughs). I was in school when I had my first girlfriend … Nor was the girlfriend, I asked someone to go out when I was about 12 years. The next day the entire school was: “You will leave with a. ..?”. And I was like, “Oh my God.” I think I never talked to the girl. I was just feeling the greatest nuisance. It is like the stock market: the more speculators, things get more dire.

Disastrous for whom and for what?
“If you say” this is the truth “and people are already talking about whatever it is, at some point you just helps to thicken the broth. Its truth is not truth but the truth is that on the cover of gossip magazine. Do you own becomes a gossip.

Must be hard to maintain that kind of life so private, no?
I do not like to take picture of me, ever. Even before all this, I did not like when my mother took photos of me and then …

And then you chose to be an actor. On the set, does not bother me. It’s weird. But avoid at all costs. I have done so since they started chasing me everywhere. The only thing that annoys me is people who follow me. If people can earn money just waiting in front of my house and following me, they will be there watching me, forever in surveillance 24 hours a day. We must strive to prevent this from happening.

What would you do to stop this from happening?
I’d give a shot (laughs).

Why did you decide to work on this film?
I was leaving a movie more in the Twilight series. One of the difficulties of doing Twilight is never sweat, your face must be set forever. If you make an exaggerated expression, looks like cabúqui (Japanese theatrical style). Then you are very restrained. I read the script and liked Water for Elephants. But it was also a world far more physical and dirty. It’s funny when you can sweat without makeup to give five touches. It’s a relief.

The film speaks about love in all forms. Talk about love, what you learn with it, as you define it?
Do not know. You should know all the tough questions …

It’s the movie … How do you define love?
In this film, it’s not conventional. I do not think it is about him (Jacob) fall for her (Marlene, played by Reese Witherspoon) and want to be alone with her. The sweetest thing is to recognize that he does not want to just take it away and stick with it. That is not love, it’s just a thing of pride. If you love someone, believes she is the best person in the world. He is not so, and that’s the only thing he wants to show her. That’s love. He wants her to love the way he loves her.

Do you have any plans to return to the theater? Still lives in London and decided to settle in America?
I fixed everywhere, live in hotels. I love doing things for the theater. But at this point would not be a good experience. I can not imagine that is something beyond people taking photos. It’s too much to bear. It is as if too much energy in a crowd. It is not just an energy that is waiting to appear. It’s an energy that you want to grab. It would not work.

via via